Friday, July 12, 2013

Rhythm and Birth

Batuku rhythm model
Batuku rhythm model (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


Rhythm is inherent in the feminine cycle. Some women claim they could set a clock by their period. To them I can only give an envious laugh. I have done much to work with my body using herbs and am more in touch with my body every day, but I still am not in love with my feminine body. I'm hoping to get it figured out before menopause and be able to make that transition as gently as possible.

These body rhythms are essential to a normal birth. Some women's bodies go through labor with a perfect rhythm. They give birth relatively quickly. Again, all I can share with them is an envious laugh. My body went through uncoordinated but painful contractions. Labor was long and exhausting.

Birth is a complex and beautifully orchestrated process. The exact mechanisms that begin labor aren't well known. We know that the baby's placenta as well as the mother's brain release hormones that cause rhythmic uterine contractions.

It's not currently medically possible to give even a remote approximation of natural labor hormones. All that can be done is a continuous IV of synthetic oxytocin (pitocin) which is nothing like the short bursts of oxytocin a laboring woman would naturally produce.

Singing and dancing (or writing or listening to music) are known to contribute to a positive labor experience so I would have to guess that such things encourage healthy rhythm. Also, going outdoors (even birthing outdoors or near an open window) gets you more in touch with natural rhythms.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment