Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Want To Be a Midwife

A midwife measures the height of the mother's ...
A midwife measures the height of the mother's fundus at about 26 weeks to determine the probable gestational age of the fetus. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I Want to Be a Midwife

Why? Why now?

I have a passion for well-being. I believe in joy.

Every woman should have pregnancy, birth, and well woman care that empowers them.

Every woman's journey is different. I want to be there to preserve the sacredness of birth for individuals and society as a whole. The medical model of care is still there when wanted or needed. A big part of midwifery training is to recognize when a situation is potentially dangerous.

I didn't have empowering care. I had fear mongering. No one deserves that. Everyone should have the right to a choice. To have to choose between hospital or unassisted birth (or even a birth with an illegal attendant) is not a fair choice. I want to see the options in women's healthcare change (birth centers and legal home birth midwives) so I need to be the change I want to see.

Non-nurse midwives weren't legal in my area until very recently so it was off my radar in terms of professional options. I deeply admire those who risk their freedom to give women the option of compassionate care, but I couldn't be part of it. I was raising children and not able, ready, or confident. Now it's time for me to get the training and be not just the midwife I wish I had had, but the midwife who can adapt to any situation and be there when needed and make myself nearly invisible when not needed. It's a tall order, but I'm believing in myself. Far more importantly, I believe in women and their ability to heal themselves and to birth without routine intervention.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment